Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tip #80 From Mrs. Sunny

"Find something for your younger kids to do independently while you
make supper in the evenings"

With the encouragement of a high school friend I have another post to share with you!

Here is my top 10 list of things for your kids to do so you can accomplish supper at the "witching hour" of all kids! Some nights my kids do fine occupying themselves, but on the nights when they're nagging one another I use one of these ideas:

1. Pull up a chair to the sink, fill it with water, keep the water on a drip and fill the sink with measuring cups, funnels, & anything else on hand to keep them busy!
This isn't just "water play" it's pre-math skills! For example, they learn what happens when you fill the cups with too much water and it's great for eye-hand coordination pouring from one container to the next!
2. Get out the play-dough! I don't have any of the "fancy" play-dough utensils...the kids love old cookie cutters, small rolling pins, plastic knives & forks, and small containers! What kid doesn't like play-dough!
I have found that home-made play-dough lasts up to 6 months whereas the store-bought stuff only lasts a few months before it starts crumbling which makes it really hard to clean up! Or if you don't want to make your own, the play-dough at Dollar Tree works really well, because it's a more wet like the homemade stuff.
3. My son loves to cut paper. I just give him a pair of scissors and scrap paper and away he goes! Of course you have to be at the right age for this, but again it's a great skill to be practicing! Beware - you will have to sweep up all the paper, but you will get supper made without fighting! :)
4. Buttons! My mom happened to have a bunch of buttons given to her and I made two games for Kristofer. 1) Matching colors (different sizes and shapes) & 2) Matching pairs of the same button based on color, shape, etc.
5. Old-fashioned crayons and coloring books! I have found that girls will stick to this better than boys. Although, Kristofer's friend that I watch is a girl and she has taught Kristofer much patience when it comes to coloring. The older kids obviously like markers better. Kathryne's getting better with markers...10 minutes is her limit then she starts painting her skin!
6. Stringing beads. Depending on how difficult you want it to be you can use shoe laces or pipe cleaners!
7. Let them help you make supper if you're not in too much of a rush and in a fairly good mood :)! My kids just like pushing chairs up to the counter and watching!
8. Give them a fun chore to do that they are able to do on their own: give them a microfiber cloth to wipe all the wood in the house (I don't use the spray anymore, and I wouldn't trust either of my kids with that bottle!), a wet cloth to wipe all the windows! Be creative and don't be critical of how they get it done...it's just to keep them occupied and to let them accomplish a task on their own! :) Unless they're of age where they should know how to get it done correctly!
9. Put on the Beetles and let them dance! (Or any other music you prefer...the oldies always get me in a good mood, though! :)
10. Now that spring is arriving just let them run outside! As long as it's not lightening or cold, I let them go outside even when it's raining. How else to you learn about weather than to actually be in it and experience the water coming out of the drain spouts, puddles in the yard and sand box full of water! :) It's messy but fun - that's what being a kid is all about!
My kids spend more time outside than inside during the day once spring and summer arrive for good - kids are cooped up too much these days!
****I use these throughout the day if the kids are having a hard time getting along because usually it's just because they need something to do. I give them the option of picking a game (or activity above) or reading a book when they can't find anything constructive to do other than pick on their sibling! Many times Kristofer will pick a book because he knows he needs to just sit and relax.
Hope this helps your evenings run a little smoother!

No comments:

Post a Comment