Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tip #17 From Mrs. Sunny

"Know the TOP Ten garage sale rules..."

1. Highlight and make a list of all destinations beforehand

2. Have your Tom Tom charged with destinations already plugged in the night before
(And bring a map in case of rainy weather when the GPS cannot find a signal :)

3. Arrive at least 15 minutes ahead of the most important stop to guarantee your most prized purchase!

4. Don't leave if the garage door is closed with cars parked in front...they can be tricky. Stick to your guns and wait until exactly the time they said they would open. Then run! No, just quickly move your legs!

5. Train your eyes to quickly scan sales while driving to weed out the ones without the items you're looking for

6. I almost forgot, go to the bank ahead of time and withdrawal your budgeted amount...when it's gone, it's gone!

7. Stick to your list of needed items (Boy clothes, shoes, the basics) and splurge on the good finds ($1 light bright, $1 stuffed lion puppet, etc.)

8. Don't buy boxers for your husband, even if they were a pack of 6 Tommy Hilfiger ones that honestly didn't look used at all! (Yes, I did this. I don't know if he's going to actually wear them. I was honestly trying to be nice)

9. Think ahead...don't forget to look for Christmas presents for the nieces and nephews!

10. Remember to pack a snack for the kids and when they've about had it, go home and look at all your treasures and great finds!
______________________________________

Those of you in the neighborhood, did you enjoy garage saling? I haven't written in a while, so this may get long. I get pretty excited about garage sales. :)

I woke up Friday morning, got Kristofer a quick breakfast and headed out early for a sale at 7 a.m. for some nice cloth diapers. Got there 15 minutes early and there were cars parked in the lot! I thought maybe they weren't opening, drove around a while, came back 5 minutes after 7 and everything was out with 10 people in the driveway! Now that was tricky! Luckily the diapers were still there (But I didn't end up getting them because they were not what I was looking for). Last summer, though, I wasn't as lucky...

I had been to 3 sales like 5 minutes after they opened and had missed buying a pack n' play by seconds and at the last one, the lady walking in front of me grabbed it and said to me, "I have been driving around all morning and people have been beating me to these!" I had some words for her at that moment. I was 9 months pregnant, she was maybe 5 months. My hormones were much stronger...I bit my tongue and went home. I learned my lesson to arrive early.

Anyways, it's fun! I think I've got everything I needed. Kristofer is set for clothes ($20), winter coat ($1) next year and a Hawkeye jacket ($1), Kathryne has snow pants and boots($1.50) for next winter- didn't need clothes since my sister has three girls!

But I did forget #9...I will be looking for presents this summer. On my side of the family we trade toys we already have or have got at garage sales. It works really well when you've got so many kids to buy for!

I could go on forever, but I've got to head to bed! Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment