Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tip # 40 - Savings Saturday

"Make a set amount to spend on groceries each month"

Before I had a full daycare I was able to spend $200 a month on groceries (food only, including Sunny's sack lunch) with two kids. I shop once every two weeks when Sunny gets paid.

Lately, with a full daycare, it has been $300 a month or $150 every two weeks.

How do I do this? (10 extra tips!)

1. I know I would not be able to achieve this without shopping at Aldi's. There are items that Aldi's doesn't carry, which I get at Hy-Vee since it's right across the street.

2. Sunny helps me watch for savings days at Hy-Vee, which are pretty good for those items that you can't get at Aldi's and sometimes everyday items end up being cheaper there. I used to go to Wal-Mart after Aldi's, but it's not as close and locally owned.

3. At one time I had a list of items and the current prices at both stores - this is something that I got lazy on and it really helps. Sometimes I have bought something at Aldi's not realizing that Hy-Vee had a sale on the same item for cheaper. Bummer!

4. I buy the basics for snacks - crackers, yogurt, cheese, fruit, cereal, peanut butter, bread - nothing special, but healthy and the kids love it!

5. I make a list and stick to it! I'm not one to stock up on items - in the long run for me, I end up spending more than I wanted.

6. Before making my list, I look at what items I have in my cabinets, fridge and freezer.

7. I make a list of meals for the following two weeks and make a list of groceries excluding any items I already have for those meals.

8. And like I'm sure you've all heard before - don't go grocery shopping with a hungry belly and always feed your kids beforehand or bring a snack! Otherwise those brownies and candy bars are going to end up in your cart! :)

9. Meat is what can really raise that bill - buy on sale, or make more casseroles! I also buy whole chickens, bake them and I usually can make 3 meals out of one chicken.

10. Last one for the night...if something is about to go bad in your fridge and you don't foresee using it - freeze it! Ripe bananas, that cup of pasta or veggies nobody wants (great toddler TV dinner!), apples (slice and make applesauce another time), spinage (puree and throw into chocolate brownies), and the list goes on and on...

I am fortunate to have an in-home job, but things can still be tight at times when you least expect it...this has really helped our family! I hope something help yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment