Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tip #52 From Mrs. Sunny: World Vision Wednesday

"Try something new to become more self-sufficient"


I briefly watched a PBS show on country-life versus city-life in the 1950's in Iowa. Slowly, those living in the country had the same benefits of city-life and became less and less self-reliant. Many were getting their first fridge once electrical lines became available and canned foods were becoming popular as well. The 1950's doesn't seem like that long ago, it really intrigued me to learn more.

I found the following article about the Iowa Radio Homemakers during this time. Wives on the farm had a way to hear about what was happening in the world through the radio at this time:

http://www.iptv.org/iowastories/story.cfm/609/section:iowas-radio-homemakers-up-a-country-lane
__________________________________________________

Both my parents grew up with 8 brothers and sisters on a farm and they have told me many stories through the years. I specifically remember how my dad's family stored vegetables and fruit from their harvest in the basement. We just don't know how to do this anymore. Along with all the canning and butchering of chickens.

I also remember stories of how my grandmother made all their clothes. When I can get shirts for $.50 at garage sales, this just isn't cost-effective anymore, but I definitely want my children to know how to sew like my mother taught me.

I would love to live on a farm with a huge garden and chicken coup, but at this time, it's not possible for me. I have briefly read articles on some cities allowing chickens, which I think is a great idea, personally. It's such a cheep protein for families.

A lot of information, but I am trying to be a little more self-reliant every year. From my homemade laundry detergent to making my own pizza dough, every little effort saves money and decreases the amount of resources being used to make everything that we use every day.

Summer is coming to an end for growing a garden, but try growing spices indoor, make homemade cleaners, or make homemade cake for your next birthday party!

No comments:

Post a Comment