Monday, August 16, 2010

Tip #42: Monday Madness

"Try a little spring cleaning in the summer!"

I visited with a friend last week and she was telling me how she had gone on this cleaning craze and I think I caught it. Now if you looked at my house you wouldn't know it. But since that visit I have cleaned the garage, gone through my storage bins (and now have two empty bins after getting rid of things we weren't using) , washed my cupboards, and cleared the pile on our kitchen table.

I read somewhere that clearing clutter can relieve stress in your life and I really think it's true. Our house is well-lived in from day-to-day (envision 6 children running or crawling through my house during the week!) and may seem like a mess, but I try to have a place for everything when I do pick up the house. Sunny makes fun of my "baskets" or containers for things. Apparently he wouldn't mind a pile of shoes on the floor instead...I love you!

I admit I don't have an organized way of cleaning the house. If I have time, I try to check something off my list. Sunny can attest, that all of a sudden I just start picking up a room or vacuuming (which is always way over-due).

I do feel I am good at getting rid of things I'm not using, though - and I live by the phrase "waste not - want not". Now this may amaze you, it sure amazed Sunny, but I saved a casserole dish from our wedding that I had two of and couldn't return one and I just used it as a wedding gift this weekend. I added some things to it, but it was brand new and never opened!

If I don't know someone who could use what I don't need, I donate it. Sunny and I have been married 4 years and I think I could have had at least 2 garage sales by now. I just can't stand having the stuff hang around long enough for it to pile up for a garage sale!

Isn't it amazing how much "stuff" we fill our lives with when we can't take any of it with us after this life?

No comments:

Post a Comment